The best way to start your day is with a healthy breakfast. You have heard it before and it's true. Breakfast is how you jump start your metabolism after a long night of not eating. Eating breakfast is also the best way to stay alert and focused through your morning. It also helps you make better eating choices during the day. Breakfast isn't your thing? Don't have enough time? Try these suggestions for delicious and fast alternatives!
* Layer low fat or fat free yogurt with your favorite crunchy cereal (try Fiber One to help up your fiber intake) and fruit, such as blueberries or raspberries. It is a homemade quick parfait! Try Greek yogurt for added protein, up to three times as much!
* Make a breakfast smoothie, mix skim milk, fat free yogurt, a banana and frozen berries in a blender. You can add oatmeal for more texture. Try a plastic bottle with a lid to take this shake with you on a busy morning.
* Try real oats (like Quaker) instead of instant for less sugar. You can still make it in the microwave in under 2 min. Make it with milk instead of water for added calcium and vitamin D. Add in raisins or dried cranberries, top with chopped walnuts. Instead of brown sugar, try Splenda brown sugar and some cinnamon for fewer calories.
* Stuff a whole wheat pita with a sliced boiled egg, low fat shredded cheese and lean ham. Easy to take on the go. Try adding in tomatoes, mushrooms or spinach for added nutrients.
* Spread a whole wheat tortilla with low fat peanut butter, roll up around a banana, sounds crazy, but it is really good! Provides protein and complex carbohydrates to start the day off right.
* Try whole grain pancakes. There are many mixes in the grocery store where you just add water. They are quick, and always turn out great. Add in chopped nuts, blueberries, peaches, or bananas. Top with sugar free syrup, or sugar free cool whip for fewer calories.
* If you aren’t a fan of breakfast foods, don’t skip breakfast! Try a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on whole wheat bread, or a whole wheat tortilla filled with lean turkey, low-fat cheese, lettuce and tomatoes.
If you have a favorite breakfast that is healthy and creative let me know and I will add it to the list!