Beginning the climb to panic mode, I asked him if it was a lizard that got in. I was secretly praying that it was lizard and not what I was dreading seeing now that I am in sunny AZ, land of creepy, crawly, slithering things. He responded "um, no". Now I was backing up, fleeing the room and resolving to move. He took the bath mat outside and got rid of the snake, while I continued freaking out. And with that....Happy First Day of Summer!
Now that is summer, and everywhere across the country is having really hot temperatures, it is time to get your grill on!
- Get out of the hot dog and hamburger rut! Try affordable cuts of leaner meats that you can marinate for amazing flavor and less fat. Some of the leanest cuts to look for:
- Top sirloin or top round steak
- Bottom or eye of round roast
- Round tip roast
- Flank Steak
- Tri Tip Roast
- Lawry's has some great marinades, I love their garlic and herb blend and the mesquite with lime one. They are always coming out with new flavors, and I love trying them!
- Here is one of my favorite marinades/rubs (I invented it based off of one I saw from Ann Burrell, and one I found on allrecipes.com)
- 1 1/4 cups canola oil
- 3/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp ground dry mustard
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp crushed red pepper (more or less for heat, I usually use more)
- 1 Tbsp splenda brown sugar
- Also on the grill, try turkey burgers (Kirkland brand is my favorite), pork tenderloin, or ceder plank cooking with fish on it.
- Try Ken's fat free Raspberry vinaigrette brushed on your pork tenderloin, so simple!
- To try cooking on a ceder plank, look for them at any grocery store, usually by the meat. Then soak the plank for 30-60 min before cooking. Stick right on the grill with fish on top, I usually use salmon topped with lemon pepper, garlic, and 1 sliced lemon, delicious and again, simple!
What is your favorite thing to make on the grill? Any fabulous marinades or rubs you use? Please share in the comments section! If you like the blog, please join it! Over on the left hand side there is box for "followers". Thanks, and have a great day!