I love dinner parties. I love throwing them, and I love attending them. Eating at someone's house can be so much better than going out to eat. Home cooked meals are wonderful, and trying a friend's favorite dishes and creations is always fun. Attending a dinner party can be easier on your meal plan or diet than going out to eat, if you keep a few key things in mind. Here are my top suggestions for staying in line while enjoying a dinner party (maybe this weekend?) Come on over! You are all invited! :)
- Pick and choose wisely. Focus on vegetable dishes for instance the relish tray, salads, and lean meat choices. Steer clear of dishes covered in rich, creamy sauces. If you do decide to try a rich entree or dessert, be sure to watch your portion size and keep it small.
- If you have the option, bring a side dish that fits into your plan. You will have at least one safe food there that you can fill up on. Remember others may be grateful for a healthy option as well. Don't forget to check with the host for something that fits in with what they are already preparing.
- Pay attention to bowls of candy and snacks sitting out. Be aware of what you are putting in your mouth during conversation and before and after the meal. Those little bites here and there really add up quickly!
- Be careful with beverages! Alcoholic drinks can be loaded with calories and will hurt your weight loss progress. If you do drink, stick to one glass of white wine instead of sugary cocktails, and stick to something lighter the rest of the evening.
- Don't starve during the day in preparation for the dinner party. Eat every few hours, even if it is something small and try to have something small but filling (for example 6 oz of yogurt with 1/2 cup all bran cereal mixed in) before going to the party.
I love this gorgeous outdoor table set up for a dinner party! Pic from here.
I love this setting for Fall! Pic from here.
What are your favorite strategies for surviving dinner parties? Share in the comments section below!
Hope you got your daily dose of nutrition today, and thanks for reading! If you enjoy the blog, please share using the buttons below, or in the box to the right. Also, we would love to have you join us! Join this site in the "followers" box to the right. "Like" the blog on facebook, and follow me on twitter (@jennasteprd) and pinterest using the the boxes on the right. Thanks, and have a great day! ~jenna