Happy Friday! I hope everyone had a great week! I can't believe we are half way through August. I love summer, and I am getting sad we are coming to the end. Luckily, next week I get to spend some time out on the boat and with family, which is really what summer means to me. What about you? What does summer mean to you? What was on your summer bucket list?
I have been enjoying the awesome avocados I have been getting lately. Right now I am getting a great deal on them too, so I'm using them in more things! Here are some fun facts about avocados :)
- Avocados can range anywhere from 3oz to 4 lbs, depending on the variety.
- Two medium avocados should be about 1 lb, and give you 2 1/2 cups chopped up.
- Avocados are technically a fruit, and not a vegetable.
- To easily remove the seed, cut the avocado in half lengthwise, around the seed. Hold the half with the seed in it, and hit the seed with your knife gently, then twist the knife and the seed will come with it!
Photo from here
- Only keep avocados in your fridge for a few days before eating them.
- If you get an avocado that is too hard, place it in a paper bag with an apple or banana and it should ripen really quickly.
- Once an avocado is cut, it will turn brown quickly. To prevent this in guacamole, add a dash of lemon or lime juice.
- California is responsible for 95% of the nation's crop of avocados. Because there are so many different varieties, they are in season nearly year round!
- Of course guacamole is the most common way to eat avocados, they are also great on sandwiches, in soups, on eggs, and on salads.
- Avocados are high in monounsaturated fat (the good one!), they also provide good fiber, vitamin C, thiamine, riboflavin, and a little protein. (remember they are a little bit calorie dense, watch the portion size!)
Try this amazing Guacamole Recipe from allrecipes.com. It has a little spicy kick to it. Others agree, it has 5 stars with 2,780 reviews! Give it a try to mix up your norm.
Have a favorite way to eat avocados? Share below in comments!
Hope you got your daily dose of nutrition today, and thanks for reading! If you enjoy the blog, please share using the buttons below, or in the box to the right. Also, we would love to have you join us! Join this site in the "followers" box to the right. "Like" the blog on facebook, and follow me on twitter (@jennasteprd), tumblr, and pinterest using the the boxes on the right. Thanks, and have a great day! ~jenna