Food safety and safe food handling is always a big concern during the summer months with picnics, BBQ's, reunions and other outdoor food gatherings. It is always nice to have a quick refresher on your food safety knowledge, and hopefully remind you of some important things to do to keep food safe! This is not only important if you are the one preparing food, but also if you are at gatherings to make sure food is stored appropriately, and kept at the proper temperatures!
Test your knowledge with this quick quiz, and please leave any questions in the comment section below, I will be happy to answer them!
1. Which of the following foods are most likely to grow microorganisms?
a. Moist Food
b. Dry Food
c. Salty Food
d. Sweet Food
2. Salmonella is least likely to occur in which food?
a. Chicken Salad
d. Cocoa Powder
3. Store meat, poultry and fish at:
a. Temperatures below 32 degrees F
b. Temperatures below 36 degrees F
c. Temperatures below 41 degrees F
d. Temperatures below 45 degrees F
4. Cook ground meats to a minimum internal temperature of:
a. 140 degrees F
b. 150 degrees F
c. 160 degrees F
d. 170 degrees F
(Do you have a meat thermometer? If not, amazon has a digital one here for only $13.99!)
5. What is the temperature "danger zone" for foods? This temperature range is when bacteria can quickly grow to dangerous levels, causing illness.
a. 35 degrees F to 135 degrees F
b. 40 degrees F to 140 degrees F
c. 45 degrees F to 145 degrees F
d. 50 degrees F to 150 degrees F
6. You should never thaw food under running water.
7. Listeriosis is especially dangerous for pregnant women, the elderly, and those with compromised immune systems. Which of the following foods is most likely to cause listeriosis?
d. Deli meats
8. Honey or syrup that has developed yeast is most likely too:
a. Appear pink
b. Display a blue-green, fuzzy growth
c. Become concave and sunken in the center of the container
d. Look exactly the same, no change
1. a. Moist Foods - This is where bacteria thrives! Watch temperatures with these foods.
2. d. Cocoa Powder
3. c. Below 41 degrees F - Meat, poultry and fish should be stored below 41 degrees F.
4. c. 160 degrees F
5. b. 40 degrees F to 140 degrees F - Food should be kept hot or kept cold. Food should be heated or cooled quickly to avoid being in this range for too long.
6. b. False - Thawing should be done under running water, in the microwave, or in the refrigerator, but not on the counter at room temperature.
7. d. Deli foods - these should be microwaved to steaming for those who are pregnant, elderly, or have compromised immune systems.
8. a. Appear pink - When this happens, throw it out!