Stress of the holidays leave you craving something sweet? These sweet treats will leave you satisfied, and at only 80 calories a piece, they are perfect! Recipe from Cooking Light, March 2010.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (you can try whole wheat flour, it makes the cookie a little bit dryer)
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar (try splenda for less calories, or half splenda, half sugar)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened (I like blue bonnet lowfat butter)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup finely chopped apple pieces (or you can use dried apple)
- 3/4 cup caramel bits (can use caramel candies chopped up)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a bowl; stir well.
- Place sugars and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and egg; beat well. Gradually add flour mixture; beat at low speed until just combined. Fold in apple and caramel bits.
- Drop dough by 2 teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Flatten balls slightly with hand. Bake at 350° for 9 minutes (check at 7 min for doneness). Cool on pans 3 minutes. Remove cookies from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
Hope you got your daily dose of nutrition today, and thanks for reading! If you enjoy the blog, please share using the buttons below, or in the box to the right. Also, we would love to have you join us! Join this site in the "followers" box to the right. "Like" the blog on facebook, and follow me on twitter (@jennasteprd), tumblr, and pinterest using the the boxes on the right. Thanks, and have a great day! ~jenna